Curried Chilli Zucchini Soup
Easy, flavourful hot zucchini soup with fresh chillies, parsley, coriander, mint, a touch of turmeric and toasted walnuts to add that extra bit of nutrition.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 4 portions
Ingredients to prepare
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh red chilli Adjust quantity to taste.Deseeded and white ribs removed
- 1/2 cup minced red onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves
- 5 cups grated zucchini Keep the peel on if the zucchini are tender
- 1 cup toasted, sliced walnuts (see ingredients for garnish, walnuts are needed there too)
- 1 cup bread pieces
Other ingredients for the Soup
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups stock or water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh ground pepper or to taste
Ingredients for the Garnish
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves minced
- 1 tablespoon Mint leaves minced
- 1 tablespoon toasted, sliced walnuts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
To Prepare the Ingredients
Prepare the ingredients and keep them ready to use:
Deseed the fresh chilli, remove the white ribs, and mince the chilli. I like to keep the chilli whole and just slit it down its length deseeding and removing the white ribs, so that the chilli can be removed before the soup is served, and nobody bites into the chilli (unless they relish the heat!)
Peel and mince the onion, garlic and ginger.
Strip the herb leaves from the stalks, wash dry and mince.
Grate the zucchini and retain its juices. Keep the zucchini peel if the zucchini is fresh and young, and if it is mature with a tough fibrous peel, remove the peel and seeds.
Grating speeds up the cooking process, however you could dice the zucchini into even sized pieces of about 1 cm sq, if you find it convenient.
Toast the shelled walnuts in a pan and slice them. Set aside till required.
Tear bread to small pieces. I use the sides too.
Mince herbs and toast walnuts for garnish. Slice the walnuts.
To Make Curried Chilli Zucchini Soup
Keep the prepared ingredients ready. Measure the other ingredients as per the list above.
Heat olive oil in a pan and add minced red chilli (adjusting the quantity to your taste for the chilli heat). Sauté for 30 seconds.
Add the minced garlic and ginger, sauté for 30 seconds.
Add curry powder and turmeric, sauté for 10 seconds. I use Madras curry powder.
Add minced onions. Sauté till the onions are translucent, without letting them brown - about 4 minutes
Add the grated zucchini, stir it in and sauté for 4 minutes, stirring frequently as the zucchini may have a tendency to stick to the bottom of the pan.
Add the bread cubes. Stir.
Add the Stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the stove heat to low, and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes.
Add half the walnuts, reserving the rest for garnish
Add all the herbs after reserving some coriander and mint leaves for garnish.
Take the pan off from the stove and transfer the soup to another container to cool.
When cool enough to blend, puree in a food processor or hand blender. Hot liquid can splash out of the processor so use caution and puree the soup in batches.
You may puree the soup till smooth, though I like a little texture in my soup and have pureed it coarsely, with bits of zucchini and walnuts floating around.
Place the pureed soup back on the stove. Add half a cup of water if you find the soup too thick for your liking.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve hot, garnished with coriander, mint leaves and walnuts.
1. You can manage the level of 'heat' by adjusting the quantity of red chilli used in the recipe
2. I have grated the zucchini and pureed the soup coarsely. However you could dice the zucchini into even sized 1 cm square or so pieces for uniform cooking. Or grate the zucchini and not puree the soup.