The picture can't convey the aroma of vanilla, butter and blue berries wafting through the house! The headiest perfume, ever! Easy to make
- 200 gm All purpose flour (maida)
- 70 gms Dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 tsps Baking powder
- 2 Eggs
- 6 oz Milk (175 ml)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 55 gms Butter
- ½ tsp Lemon zest
- 120 gms Blueberries
For topping (optional):
- 6 tsps White sugar
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat Oven to 200 deg C/ 400 deg F
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature before you start.
- Melt the butter ( it took me about 20 secs in the microwave)
- Sieve the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Break the eggs into another bowl, whisk till the yolk combines with the white.
- Add the milk, vanilla extract, melted butter and lemon zest to the beaten eggs.
- Make a well in the flour mixture, pour the egg milk mixture into the well.
- Using a wooden spoon or plastic spatula, gently fold the flour into the liquid so that all the dry ingredients are just moistened and the batter contains a few small lumps. Do not overmix or mix the batter till it is smooth as this can cause the muffins to bake unevenly or toughen.
- Fold the blue berries into the batter, again gently. Let the purple juices run into the batter, it doesn't matter.
- Scoop batter into a well-greased 12 mould muffin pan, filling each upto ¾th of the mould. You could place each muffin in paper muffin liners before inserting in an un-greased muffin pan, if you wish. I have used a greased pan, and placed the muffins after baking, in muffin liners.
- If you want browner looking muffins, sprinkle white sugar on top of each muffin. Mixing a little cinnamon to the sugar before sprinkling, adds to the aroma and flavour.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes till the muffins begin to brown at the sides ( you can make out from the sides at the top of the muffins) or when a wooden pick, if inserted, comes out clean or with just a few crumbs sticking to it. You could start testing 5 minutes ahead of time.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes in the pan.
- Using a large spoon, gently lift each muffin onto a rack to cool.