Eggs in a gravy of tomato purée and a paste of fried spices, mint, curry leaves and onions. Simple, quick and delicious when it's too warm and you don't want to spend time in the kitchen.
Egg masala curry in a tomato gravy
For the curry:
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil - Sunflower or other
- 1 Green chilli
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic - paste
- 1 cup Tomato - purée
- ¼ tsp Turmeric - (haldi) powder
- to taste Salt
- 1 tbsp Curd - (thick)
- Coriander leaves - for garnish
For the paste:
- a few Fenugreek seeds - (methi)
- 1 Bay leaf - (small)
- 1 Cardamom - (peeled)
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon - " piece
- ¼ tsp Kasuri methi
- ¼ tsp Poppy seeds
- ½ cup Onions - (chopped)
- 4 Mint - leaves
- 2 Curry leaves - (leafy stalks)
- Set the eggs in a saucepan to boil. Once boiled, set them in a colander to drain.
- Meanwhile, slice the onions, chop the green chilli. Wash and separate the curry leaves from their stalks.
- Pour half the oil in a heated frying pan, reserving the balance.
- Add methi seeds, sauté for 10 secs or till the seeds begin to discolour or burst.
- One by one add the spices and sauté.
- Add the onions, sauté for 2 minutes or till the onions become translucent.
- Add the mint leaves and curry leaves, sauté for 10 seconds.
- Take the pan off the heat and transfer the fried spices and onion mixture to a plate or bowl and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Shell the boiled eggs and slice or cut into 2 vertical pieces so that each piece has both the white and the yolk.
- Grind the fried spices, onions, mint and curry leaves to a coarse paste.
- Reheat the pan and add the reserved oil. Scald the pieces of chilli.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for 10 secs.
- Add the onion spice paste.
- Sauté for two minutes, stirring so that the paste does not char or catch at the bottom of the pan.
- Add turmeric powder, sauté for 10 secs.
- Add the tomato purée. Let it cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and stir.
- Stir in half the curd, reserving the balance for garnishing. Mix the curd well into the gravy.
- Place the slices of egg gently in the gravy, cut side up. Cover with the gravy and let it cook on low flame till the gravy begins to summer.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and blobs of thick curd. and serve hot with chappatties or rice.