Almost a salad, this easy to make omelette is a breakfast staple at my house. The vegetables should be fresh and chopped fine/ minced so that they cook fast. The basil, oregano and ginger raise the omelette above the ordinary and the cheese gives it the perfect taste. As in most of my recipes, there is a contrast of colour, texture and aroma which makes this dish a treat.
Herby cheesey omelette
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Capsicum - minced
- 1 tbsp Red pepper - minced
- 1 tbsp pepper - Yellow minced
- 1 tbsp Brocolli - minced
- 1 tbsp Tomatoes - minced
- 1 tbsp Onions - minced
- 1 Red chilli - small
- 3 Basil - leaves
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Ginger - grated
- 1 tbsp Cheese - grated
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- Mince all the vegetables to a similar size. Grate the ginger. Cut the chilli as preferred - I cut it into 1/2 cm pieces so they can be easily identified. Mince the basil. Grate the cheese. I used cheddar, you could take any cheese you prefer.
- Break the eggs into a pan and beat them till frothy
- Add salt, pepper, basil and oregano, chilli and ginger to the eggs and whisk so the salt dissolves.
- Heat a frying pan. Spread one tsp of olive oil or spray vegetable oil on the hot pan.
- Pour half the egg mixture on the pan, quickly lower the heat and spread the egg. Add half the chopped vegetables and cheese and spread them evenly across the egg base.
- Cook for 2 minutes on low heat, or till the omelette can be lifted and gently flipped over.
- Cook for one minute on medium or high heat till the base is done.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve hot with buttered toast.
- Repeat the process for the second omelette,using a vegetable oil spray before pouring egg into the pan.