A refreshing salad for summer, colourful and filled with flavour. A medley of tomatoes, sweet bell peppers of different colours, radish and pomegranate, each contributing its taste to the salad.
The dressing is a tangy mustard lemon dressing. Shredded fresh green lettuce, chunks of red, yellow and green sweet peppers, firm green and orange tomatoes and sharp red radishes along with scallions sliced fine and a scattering of tiny pieces of shelled walnut, come together to make this easy salad. Chill it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
I have a small pot of rosemary and some basil growing in my balcony garden, so naturally I had to use some in the dressing!
Salad of lettuce, radish and peppers in a mustard lemon basil rosemary dressing
- 1 red pepper
- 1 pepper - Yellow
- 1 pepper - Green
- 2 Tomatoes - Firm
- 1 red radish
- 1/2 cup pomegranate - (shelled)
- 3 Scallions
- 3 - 4 lettuce leaves
For the dressing:
- 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp orange - zest
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp mustard - paste
- 1 red chili
- 1 cm ginger
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- to taste salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- To make the salad:
- Dice all the ingredients for the salad, except the lettuce and scallions, into small cubes. Wash and scrub the radish well and dice without peeling it. Finely slice the bulbs and the shoots of the scallions.
- Add all the vegetables into your favourite salad bowl. I like to use glass bowls which show off the jewel like colours of the salad. Add the pomegranate ariels.
- Wash the lettuce, shred into pieces and dry in a salad spinner or pat dry. Keep aside.
- To make the dressing:
- Squeeze the juice from the lime ( about 1.5 tbsp).
- Add a slit red chilli, finely chopped ginger, two large fresh basil leaves ( or 1/4 tsp of dry basil) shredded into tiny pieces, a few rosemary leaves torn into bits.
- Add salt to taste and freshly ground pepper (1 tsp)and stir the mixture well.
- Add 1/4 tsp lemon zest and 1/4 tsp orange zest. Add 1/4 tsp mustard paste, blend it into the mixture.
- Pour 1tbsp of red wine vinegar and stir. Add 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil slowly into the lemon vinegar dressing, and beat with a fork till it blends.
- Pour half the dressing over the salad. Mix the dressing into the salad with your fingers so it spreads evenly. Add the pieces of walnut and the lettuce.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator till required, for at least 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, pour the remaining dressing on the lettuce, gently mix with your fingers so the lettuce is covered with the dressing.
- Serve immediately with chunks of toasted bread or foccacia.