Some of my happiest food times are when the berries are all around in abundance, gorgeously coloured sapphire blueberries, startling pink strawberries, ruby red cherries, like jewels waiting to be snatched off the shelves in the grocery store or the farmers market. Deep red cherries are the hero of this so easy to make Cherry Compote Yogurt Parfait with Granola. It won me lots of brownie points at home.
Before you get started on this Recipe:
You need Cherry compote (link for the recipe is given alongside as well as below) to make this Cherry Compote Yogurt Parfait. I have included the time for making the Cherry Compote in the estimated time in the recipe card below, though the parfait itself takes only 5 minutes to put together, while the compote, though easy to make, takes 15 minutes or so for the cherries and the syrup to reach the right consistency for a compote.
The time consuming part is for pitting the cherries and I have planned 10 minutes for this as I sliced the cherries into two and dug out the pits. It would take slightly less time and effort with a cherry pitter.
The compote may be prepared ahead and frozen in small packs, and the required quantity be taken out for adding to the parfait.
Quantities in the recipe for the parfait are only indicative, you may change the same according to taste. The cocoa powder is of course the secret ingredient to make the parfait really special. Use a nice sweet honey to the yogurt. I had a bottle of Sakura Fresh organic unprocessed white Kashmir honey, and this enhanced the flavours of the parfait.
Substitutions and Variations:
- The Parfait may be frozen after preparation, and served just like ice-cream. (It is even more delicious when frozen!)
- Add finely chopped nuts instead of granola - green pistachio would go well with the cherry compote.
- Make as many layers of fresh cherry and granola as you wish, between layers of yogurt.
- Substitute finely minced dark chocolate for the cocoa powder.
- Plain yogurt or those with your preferred flavour may be substituted for the banana yogurt in this recipe, though banana would be the best as it lets the flavour of the cherries shine through.
Related Recipes You May Like:
Cherry Compote Yogurt Parfait with Granola
- 4 -6 cups banana yogurt or vanilla or other mild flavour or plain thick yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey or to taste
- ½ cup fresh cherry slices pitted and with stalks removed
- 4 tablespoons granola or minced pistachio nuts
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons cherry compote see recipe link in the introduction above and again in Notes below
How to make Cherry Compote
- Link to the Recipe for easy homemade Cherry Compote is given in the Introduction above and in the Notes below
How to make Cherry Compote Yogurt Parfait with Granola
- Whisk the yogurt with honey. Finely chop pistachio nuts (if using) and slice the fresh cherries into bite sized pieces, reserving larger slices for topping the parfait Divide all the ingredients into 4 equal portions, one for each serving.
- In each serving glass, add about an inch of yogurt and top with granola/ pista with a dash of cocoa powder. Add fresh cherry slices and cover with another layer of yogurt, topped with granola/ pista, cocoa and cherry slices.
- Make as many layers of yogurt and granola as the glass can comfortably hold. Top the glass with large slices of cherry, granola/ pista sprinkled with cocoa and lace with a spoonful of cherry compote. Serve chilled or frozen for a delicious dessert.