This was a staple for dinner or lunch during long train journeys. Mom would make this quick curry with potato cut small and fried in a little oil, with just chilli powder, turmeric and salt. We would eat it rolled up in chapaties, and washed down with chai in a matka: I can't describe how tasty it was! I've made my own favourite version adding poppy seeds and kalonji , served with rice and masoor dal.
Potato fry tempered with poppy & nigella seeds
Easy Tasty Potatoes fried in oil tempered with mustard, fenugreek, nigella and poppy seeds. And curry leaves. Delicious and quick to make.
- 4 Potato (medium)
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds (rai)
- ¼ teaspoon Fenugreek seeds (methi)
- ¼ teaspoon Onion seeds (kalonji, nigella)
- ¼ teaspoon Poppy seeds ( khas khas)
- a few Curry leaves -
- 1 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon Garam masala (optional)
- to taste Salt
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Dice them into small cubes, placing the pieces in a bowl of water till all the potatoes are diced.
- Set the potato pieces to drain in a colander.
- Shred the curry leaves into bits.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard, let it burst and add methi seeds.Add the poppy seeds and then the onion seeds. Finally add curry leaves.
- Add the potatoes, stir well till coated all over with oil.
- Keeping the stove on low flame, add chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala ( if using) and salt.
- Cook for 10 minutes or till the potato is soft and can be mashed with the back of a spoon. Stir frequently, checking that the potato does not catch at the base of the pan.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Tastes good with roti or with rice accompanied by dhal, sambar or rasam.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Sujata Shukla says
Cherian: nothing can beat the taste of potato - mash it, fry it, roll it up in parathas or make a straight forward curry- anytime comfort food!
Cherian Thomas says
The staple diet that all office goers live on.